Call to Caucus
DECEMBER 9, 10 A.M., ASHLAND COFFEE & TEA
The Hanover County Democratic Committee hereby announces that it will hold a Reorganization Caucus on Saturday, December 9, 2017 at 10 a.m. at Ashland Coffee and Tea, 100 N. Railroad Avenue, Ashland, VA for the purpose of electing members of the Hanover County Democratic Committee for the next two-year term, from December 2017 until December 2019. The biennial reorganization is required by the Democratic Party of Virginia.
Any person wishing to participate in the Caucus and/or be a candidate for election to the Committee must complete a Caucus Participation/Membership form and mail that form to HDC, P.O. Box 22, Ashland, VA 23005 or fill out a form the day of the caucus by 10 a.m. when Caucus doors close.
Doors will open for participation in the Reorganization Caucus of the Hanover Democratic Committee at 9:30 a.m. on December 9, 2017. They will close at 10 a.m. Anyone in line by 10 a.m. will be allowed to enter the Caucus. Immediately following the Caucus, a regular meeting of the newly reorganized Hanover County Democratic Committee will be held at which time the election of officers and approval of the By-Laws will take place. Nominations for officers will be accepted from the floor The Caucus Participation/Membership forms include an affirmation that he or she is a Democrat, does not intend to support any candidate who is opposed to a Democratic nominee, believes in the principles of the Democratic Party, and is a registered voter in Hanover County. Dues of $30.00 are assessed along with the Membership Form. There is no assessment for participation in the Caucus.
For more information go to www.hvadems.com or call Delores Dunn (804-240-2162).
Temporary Rules for the HDC Reorganization Caucus*
December 9, 2017 ~ 10:00am
- The doors of the caucus room will open and the certification process will begin at 9:30 am, Saturday, December 9, 2017 at Ashland Coffee & Tea.
- The doors to the caucus meeting room will be closed promptly at 10 am. A five-minute warning will be issued by the Caucus Chair at 9:55 am. Persons standing in line to complete a Caucus Participation Form at the time the doors close will be allowed to complete their forms and participate in the caucus.
- The Chair of Election Procedures of the Hanover County Democratic Committee (HDC), Delores Dunn, shall act as the Chair of the Caucus.
- The Reorganization Committee will be responsible for checking in caucus participants. Every person who participates in the caucus must complete a Caucus Participation/Membership Form and sign a statement that says that he or she is a Democrat, is a registered voter of a Precinct/District in Hanover County, believes in the principles of the Democratic Party, and that he or she does not intend to support a candidate opposed to the Democratic nominee in the next ensuing election.
- The Chair of the Caucus will identify an official clock. This clock will be used for all timekeeping
- The Chair shall appoint the Caucus Secretary.
- The Chair shall thereupon offer a report on Temporary Rules. Upon a motion for adoption, the Temporary Rules may be amended from the floor, put to a vote, and adopted.
- The Chair will ask for a reading of all those who have filed a Membership Form to be part of the 2017-2019 Hanover Democratic Committee. These will be approved by a voice vote.
- The Caucus will then adjourn and a regular meeting of the reorganized Hanover County Democratic Committee Meeting will be called to order by the current HDC Chair or her designee. The election of the HDC officers and approval of the By-Laws will take place during the HDC meeting. Nominations for officers will be taken from the floor.
*This caucus is under the authority of the by-laws of the Hanover County Democratic Committee, the First District Committee, the DPVA Party Plan, and Robert’s Rules of Order