Support Senator McClellan.
Senator Jennifer McClellan, for now, is the only Democratic state senator representing Hanover. She has introduced and sponsored many worthy bills this session. Please contact her (804-698-7509) and let her know that you, as a Hanover resident, support her legislation. Then, if Sen. McDougle (804-698-7504) or Sen. Dunnavant (804-698-7512) represent you in the state Senate, contact them to affirm your support, as their constituents and as Hanover residents of the following legislation. Let them know that you expect them to support this legislation when given the opportunity:
- SJ 297 and HJ 655 which address racial terror lynching within the Commonwealth of Virginia.
- SB 1437 which will allow for defendants convicted of noncapital felonies prior to the abolition of parole (who were sentenced before the date of the Fishback decision) to be eligible for parole.
- SB 1107 which will address the ill-conceived practice of criminalization of student misbehaviors by eliminating the misdemeanor charge of disorderly conduct for such behavior at a school or school-sponsored activity.
- The companion bill to HB 2121 that will address the high, and damaging, costs of pretrial detentions.
- SB 1433 which would require the Department of Education to aggregate and report to each education preparation program certain teacher employment data, as available, regarding such program's graduates.
- SB 1438, an Omnibus Landlord Tenant bill developed by the Virginia Poverty Law Center, which will help to reduce too-high eviction rates in the area.
- SB 1062 which will prohibit localities from discriminating in the application of local land use ordinances/guidelines, or in the permitting of housing developments, on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, elderliness, familial status, or handicap.
- SB 1109 which adds discrimination on the basis of an individual's sexual orientation or gender identity as an unlawful housing practice under the Virginia Fair Housing Act.